Thursday, August 29, 2013

Guide to meeting new people (from someone who's been there)

Good morning, buenas dias, and 'top a the morning' to you folks,

The 2013-2014 school year is upon us—new books, new teachers, and plenty of new bright-eyed, bushy-tailed faces to meet.

Before I decide to transfer to the University of Alaska Anchorage, I was on the road to Minnesota State University Moorhead, and after 600 miles of driving, and 12 hours of smelling my brother's gas, I was head first out of the car. Thankfully, there were no injuries in the process.

I’d like to think that this university never knew what they got into when they accepted me. 

Back in Moorhead, I was a gutsy freshman. At every meal, I sat with a different person, just to meet
new people, and make some friends. Of course not all of the conversations went as well as I would have hoped. Some were a hit and miss, while others glared at me for having the gull to talk to them, and some thought I was transgendered because of my short hair. 

Nevertheless at the end of the year, I had some great friends that I knew would stick by me till the ends of time.

In this scary, frustrating and thrilling time of our lives, it takes guts to get out there and meet new people. 

Look at me: I am 3,600 miles away from home, with no family, and no original connection to Alaska. Yet, I have people who already know me in the hallways and wave to me as they pass by.

So be brave, speak up and throw those high school worries away. There are people all around you just waiting for someone to talk to them. And if you’re still in need of a friend, by the middle of fall semester come by the Northern light Office and ask for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment